We all know the importance of having a good roof above our heads. Roofs protect us from the harsh elements, it makes sure that we stay warm during rainy days, and it keeps us away from the sun’s harmful rays. It is the first to come in contact with snow, rain, hail, heat and other elements. Over the years, man has tried his best to find innovative ways to improve roofing systems and to make sure that the today’s roofs meet modern needs. There are even roofing systems today that help in minimizing electric cost, like sunroofs that let natural light in so you won’t have to turn on the lights during the day. Green roofs or Eco-roofs are the latest trends in most buildings, where the roof is also treated as a garden, thus contributing to the advocacy of reducing carbon emissions and greenhouse gases. Man has indeed come a long way from the first and crudest roofing systems built, like woven dried leaves or tree barks.
Because roofs are subjected to the elements 24/7, it is almost always the first part of the structure to show signs of wear and tear. A leak in your roof can cause additional problems to other parts of the home, such as your ceiling and attic. It is therefore important that the roof is regularly inspected for signs of deterioration. Whether the property is commercial or residential, it is always best to habitually check for issues and take preventive measures. Roofing rehabilitation costs tons of money, and regular roofing maintenance can help you save both time and resources. Here are some tips that can help you maintain a healthy roof:
- Check for tell-tale signs of roof degradation – Are there stains in your ceiling? Stains in the ceiling are signs of water damage, and this water may have come from a leaking roof. Check your ceiling for any discoloration. Also check for signs of mold and mildew, since these fungi thrive in moist environment. Presence of odd smell, like that of wet wood, is also a sign that your roof may be leaking.
- Have your roof regularly checked – Depending on the type of roof, inspection can be done either by the property owner or by a trusted roofing contractor. There are some cases where signs of roof degradation are only seen from the roof Check for water accumulation or pooling, missing roof shingles, gutter damage, and all other aspects.
- Clean your roof regularly – It is important to get rid of debris like leaves and twigs, because these materials might cause damage on roofing materials. In wet areas, debris like leaves increase moisture accumulation which can degrade the roof and ultimately lead to leaks. Debris also clogs gutters and drain pipe, which will cause problems especially when the rainy season comes. Make sure to have your roof cleaned at least twice a year, most importantly in the fall season. Pruning nearby trees can also help reduce the amount of debris that’s going to end up in your roof.
- Consult a professional contractor – When all else fails and damage is already present, it’s always best to consult a professional roofing contractor. You may try to fix the problem yourself, but this can be troublesome, and not to mention dangerous (especially for roofs that are already rotted.) Call your local roofing contractor so you can get the professional help your roof needs.
- Insulation and Roofing – We all know the importance of having a well-insulated interior, but some property owners miss the value of having a well-insulated roof. Since roofs are the first subjected to the changing climates, it is only essential to keep it insulated. A properly insulated roof can also decrease your electricity consumption for up to 40%, and keeps the temperature levels in your home comfortable. Insulation also lessens damages on the roofing material itself, for instance, a roof without insulation are more prone to ice formation during winter, which can cause roofing damage. Since roofs are the first to come in contact with moisture, it is important to choose an insulating product that serves as barrier against water and moisture. Spray Foam Insulation is an example of insulating product that works well for roofing insulation. It repels water, energy efficient, and mold and mildew resistant. Consult your local insulation contractor to have your roofs properly insulated.
In the literal sense, it is really important to have a roof above your head. Take care of your roof, as it takes in the blows of nature’s elements for you. Always make sure that your roof is regularly maintained, checked and cleaned, and your roof will serve you for years and years to come.
If you want to make it in the residential construction, you must remember that it is a process that involves many, many people. But how to make sure you will achieve success in the residential construction home-making business? Well, it is essential that you pay attention to each member, each aspect that contributes to the process! Here are some ideas that will steer you in the right direction and bring success.
Of course, perhaps the most important part of this process are the builders. Finding good builders is something you should do well before you start planning everything else. If you are wondering what makes the builder good and separates it from the one you should avoid, here are some guidelines.
Follow plans and schedules
So, a good builder will be able to follow plans and schedules. In other words, it is really important to make sure that you are builders will be sticking to the plan. Then they are in the most important aspect of building you should make sure that they are reliable and know how to do their jobs.
Also, builders should have enough experience. You can also hire builders with no experience if you believe that they will be trustworthy and do everything according to the plan.
Right about the builders are managers. Making sure you have reliable managers you will make sure that the builders are managed properly and kept in check.
When I look for a manager, and I like to choose ambitious managers, because I believe they will give their best shot. You will not go wrong if you choose someone who is ambitious even if they have no previous experience because they will try to show you that they can do it properly.
Also, in addition to being ambitious and, driven manager should also be very reliable. It is the person and that you will rely on the most in the entire process of construction therefore make sure that you are comfortable with working with this person.
If you are in the construction for the first time you may not have your trusty supplier. However, you will probably find someone who will give you special offers that you could use.
Therefore, it is important to have a supplier that will provide you with special offers and quality supplies whenever you need them. Moreover, your supplier will also be the person who will inform you about the quality of your supply and perhaps point out to supplies which are of less quality that you should avoid, so make sure you ask them for their opinion and advice.
Also, you should make sure that you pay attention to quality control and put someone in charge of the quality control for the entire project. Producing something which is that of extremely low quality will get you nowhere, apart from getting a bad rap.